|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Hochsauerlandkreis (until 1969 Brilon)
Additions : 1969 Amt Medebach, Berge, Deifeld, Dreislar, Düdinghausen, Küstelberg, Medelon, Oberschledorn, Referinghausen, Titmaringhausen
The old arms (below) were granted on February 19, 1912. The new arms have been used since 1951 but were formally granted on November 27, 1979.
Medebach was part of the State of Köln and received town rights in 1144. All seals of the town until the 19th century show the image of St. Peter, the patron saint of Köln. In 1912 the city received arms, which were based on these seals, see image below.
The present arms have been used since 1951 and show the black cross of the State of Köln, the key is the symbol of St. Peter, and the fleur-de-lis is the symbol of the Mariental Abbey in Küstelberg.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.