|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In Gold über blauem Wellenschildfuß eine gemauerte rote Burg mit Zinnenturm über dem geöffneten Tor und beiderseitigem Pultdach.
Meersburg developed around the castle of the Bishops of Konstanz and received city rights in 1299. The oldest seal is known since the early 14th century and shows a castle (Burg) on a sea (Meer), the latter symbolising the Bodensee lake. From 1500 onwards the composition is known as the arms of the city. Even though the composition has not changed, the shape and size of the castle has changed considerably during the centuries.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.