|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on October 7, 1938.
The upper part shows the lion of Hessen, as the area belongs to Hessen since the 13th century. The lower part shows the wheel of the Lords of Spangenberg-Treffurt, who, until 1350, ruled the area around Spangenberg, and the arms of the Counts of Felsberg. The latter founded the city of Felsberg in the district in 1250.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.