|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The oldest seals of both the old city (city rights in 1301) and new city (city rights in 1390) show a city view with a small shield with the star of the Counts of Waldeck. The second seal from 1467 showed the above arms, which remained in use after the both cities were united in 1500.
The upper half shows St. George, patron saint of the local church, the base the star of Waldeck.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Hessisches Wappenbuch, 1956