The arms were granted on November 6, 1975.
The arms are mainly based on the arms of the two former municipalities (see also below). The Y is taken from the old arms of Wemmetsweiler, the labela nd the bar from the old arms of Merchweiler. The black colour symbolises the importance of coal mining in the municipality. The rose and the oak leaf symbolise the parks and forests in the municipality.
The previous arms were granted on April 1, 1954.
The arms show two bars, symbolising the Lords of Kerpen and the Lords of Siersburg, who both used a bar in their arms. Both also had possessions in the area. The blue label is also taken from the Lords of Siersburg.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Information and images obtained from the Merchweiler council.