|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on June 20, 1955.
The arms are a combination of the cross of the Teutonic Order and the lions of Hohenlohe. The town Bad Mergentheim was the seat of residence of the Teutonic Order from 1526-1809. The lions are taken from the arms of the Counts of Hohenlohe as different branches of this family held many estates in the district. Finally, the colours also remind of the Margraves of Brandenburg-Ansbach, who also ruled part of the district. Their arms were predominantly black and silver.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.