|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Hochsauerlandkreis (until 1975 Meschede)
Amt : Amt Meschede (until 1975)
Additions : 1975 Amt Freienohl, Amt Meschede, Calle, Eversberg, Freienohl, Grevenstein, Meschede-Land, Remblinghausen, Visbeck
The arms were granted on January 28, 1911 and again on July 30, 1976.
Meschede received city rights from Dietrich II von Moers, Archbishop of Köln, in 1457. The oldest seal dates from 1488 and already shows the present arms. The arms are a combination of the eagle of the Lords of Arnsberg and the cross of the State of Köln. The area was part of the County Arnsberg until 1368, when it became part of Köln. The arms have thus never changed since.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.