|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
The town was named Medzibor until the early 19th century. During the time when the city was part of Germany, the name was Neumittelwalde.
The arms are based on the old 17th century seal of the city. The tree probably is a canting symbol, the cross is unexplained. Hupp stated that the cross may be the symbol of St. Andrew, or derived from previous Lords of the area.
During the years the tree and the cross have been shown differently, see below.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms as shown around 1970
The arms as shown in 1994