|Heraldry of the World |
Araldica del Mondo
|Italian heraldry portal|
D'oro, alla croce d'azzurro accollato da due trivelle di ferro e oro in croce di Sant'Andrea, sormontato da una corona aurea ducale tempestata di gemme sostenente nove fioroni d'oro, cinque visibili, caricato ciascuno di una perla nel cuore. Motto "Avia Pervia".
The arms were officially granted on November 27, 1934.
The cross represents Modena city since the 13th century. In 1473 the two drills for geological inspection were added on the sides. The motto dates back to June 15, 1561, and was devised by the Chancellor of Municipality Giovanni Maria Barbieri to celebrate the entering in the city of the Duke Alfonso d'Este, and was officially adopted in the 17th century.
On August 29, 1740 the Duke Francesco III d'Este allowed the use of the crown.
The arms in the Brioschi albums 1930s
The arms as granted by Napoleon
The arms in the town ((c)Massimo Ghirardi)