Mons

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

MONS

Province : Hainaut
Additions : 1971 Cuesmes, Hyon, Ghlin, Nimy, Obourg (1964 Saint-Denis-en-Broqueroie); 1977 Ciply, Harmignies, Harveng, Havré, Jemappes (1971 Flénu), Maisières, Mesvin, Nouvelles, Saint Symphorien, Spiennes, Villers-Saint-Ghislain

Armoiries de Mons

Official blazon

  • (1818) Van keel, beladen met een burg van zilver, gevaand van goudm waartegen het wapen van henegouwen en staande op een groen terras, het schild gedekt met een gouden kroon.
  • (1842) de gueules, à une ville d'argent à quatre tourelles, dont les deux intérieures portent des guidons d'or et les deus extérieures le globe impérial, surmonté de la croix, de même ayant au-dessus de la porte les armes de Hainaut: et sous la herse un chien, de garde, d'argent, le tout posé sur une terrasse de sinople, l'écu timbré d'une couronne d'or.
  • (1977) De gueules `a un châteu d'argent, ouvert du champ, la herse levée, `a quatre tours et un donjon; la porte surmontée des armes modernes de Hainaut; les tours à deux étages crénelées, le toit pointu, surmontées, celles flanquant la porte d'une boule et d'un guidon d'or,les guidons adossés, celles d'angle d'un globe cricifère du même; la cour fermée et du champ; la partie apparente du donjon à une fenêtre et à un toit en b6atière sommé de deux boules d'or; sous la herse, un chien de garde assis, d'argent, la tête posée de front; le tout dur une terrasse isolée de sinople. L'écu sommé d'une couronne à cinq fleurons.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on April 15, 1818 and confirmed on January 25, 1842 and August 19, 1977.

The arms are based on the oldest seals of the city and show a walled city. Mons was already mentioned as a fortified and walled city in the 12th century. Above the gate is the quartered shield of the Counts of Hainaut, as Mons was the original capital of the county Hainaut since 1295.

The oldest seal dates from 1218 and only shows a tower and wall. The contra-seal, however, showed the oldest arms of the Counts of Hainaut, three chevrons. Later 13th century seals show a similar composition as on the present arms.

The dog in the gate never was shown on the seals or official arms prior to 1818. The dog appears, however, on the city hall in the 15th century and on coins form the 17th century minted in the city. The dog probably is a symbol of vigilance.

The arms basically have not changed since 1818, but each blason is more detailed as the previous.

Arms of Mons

The arms in a 16th century manuscript
Wapen van/Blason de Mons

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Wapen van/Blason de Mons

The arms on a police badge (source)


Follow us : Facebook.jpgInstagram.png
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature : Servais, 1955