|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on March 16, 1956.
The district is practically identical to the former Amt Monschau of the County of Jülich. The arms, however, show the arms of the Counts of Valkenburg, who descended from the Dukes of Limburg, and who ruled the area before it became part of Jülich.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.