|Heraldry of the World|
|Zimbabwe heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Zimbabwe
Province : Manicaland
Arms : Azure issuant from Water Barry wavy in base proper and in front of a Rising Sun Or a Gateway, two towers the Portcullis raised also proper.
Crest: On a wreath a mountain range proper, on this perched a cock sable facing dexter.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Kudu and on the sinister side a Sable antelope, both proper.
Motto: Be Just and Fear Not.
The arms were officially granted on April 19, 1985.
Mutare is Zimbabwe's third largest city and is located in the east of the country on the border with Mozambique. The city was established as a fort in 1890 and was originally called Umtali (a corruption of "Mutari") by the European settlers. Umtali was proclaimed a municipality in 1914 and was granted city status in 1971. Its name was changed to Mutare on the second anniversary of Zimbabwe's independence on 18 April 1982.
The gateway in front of a rising sun between the two towers with portcullis denotes "The Gateway to the East" and refers to Mutare's geographical and historical position in Zimbabwe. The blue and white wavy lines denote water and refer to the Mutare River, from which the city derives its name. The vernacular word for Mutare means "in metal".
The original municipal Arms were granted by Letters Patent dated 27 September 1955 (see below).
The arms had the same design, but the original crest was a red English lion holding an elephant's tusk in its dexter forepaw which was taken from the arms of the British South Africa Company - the Company founded by Cecil Rhodes and charged with colonising the territory now known as Zimbabwe. The crest was also used by the British South African Police force, and thus an unacceptable symbol for the new Zimbabwean government.
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : The municipal heraldry of Zimbabwe, ARMA 1286-1289, 1311; Additional information received from Bruce Berry