|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on September 27, 1957.
The eagle is taken from the arms of Brandenburg as a symbol for the Margraves of Bayreuth from the Hohenzollern dynasty, who were also Dukes of Brandenburg. They ruled most of the district until 1792. The second quarter shows the bend taken from the arms of the Lords Von der Grün, who for some time held several estates in the north-eastern part of the district. The lower part of the arms shows symbols for the mining indsutry.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.