|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In goldenem Schild eine rote Zinnenmauer, belegt mit einer goldenen Lilie.
The arms were granted on February 21, 1955.
The chief symbolises the fact that the village was designated as a town ('oppidum') in 1343. The chief shows a town- or city wall to emphasise this and to indicate that there may have been plans to erect such walls at the time. The fleur-de-lis in the lower half is taken from the arms of the Lords of Albeck, the oldest known Lords of the village. The village later became a possession of the Counts of Werdenberg and in 1383 of the city of Ulm. The red colour is taken from the arms of the Counts of Werdenberg. The golden colour is taken from the arms of the Herbrechtingen monastery, which also had some possessions in the village until 1607 (when these also were obtained by the city of Ulm).
Literature : Bardua, 1987