|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The oldest seal of the city dates from 1294, when the city was sold by Count Engelbert von Ziegenhain to the Archbishops of Mainz. The seal showed the archbishop on a throne. He was placed under the wheel of the State of Mainz in the second seal, dating from 1359.
All later seals from the 15th century onwards, however, show the wheel of Mainz and the image of the local patron saint, St. Martin.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.