Neuwied

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Official blazon

(de)

Origin/meaning

Neuwied was founded as a city by the Counts of Wied in 1653. The oldest seal dates from 1681 and shows the arms of the Counts of Wied, a shield with 4 red bends and a peacock. In the 19th century the peacock was often shown in natural colours, but otherwise the peacock has always been blue.

The arms are known for the Counts of Wied since the early 13th century, their meaning is not known. Until the 1970s the arms only showed the peacock, see below.


Seal from around 1900

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925

The arms in the Abadie albums

Local emergency money with the arms from 1921

The arms on a 1960s matchox label

Arms according to Stadler, 1960s


Follow us :   
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s