|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
The arms were granted on October 9, 1844.
The arms are a combination of a canting church (Kerk) and three heads. The heads are derived from the arms of the Lords of Wapenaert. In 1821 Jan van Wapenaert became mayor of Nieuwerkerke and he placed the symbol of his family in the new arms. There are no historical seals known for the council of Nieuwerkerken, so the arms were newly devised in the 1830s.
Het wapen in de Koffie Hag albums +/- 1930
Literature : Servais, 1955