Gules, a castle triple-towered and domed argent; in base a lion passant guardant Or.
The City's arms are based on a seal of the 15th century. They were recorded and confirmed on 27th May 1562.
The shield depicts Norwich Castle and the royal lion of England. This was traditionally granted to the city by King Edward III (1327-1377).
In past centuries the arms were shown surmounted by a fur cap and supported by angels. These additions were of no authority and are no longer used.
The arms on the majoral chain (16th century)
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms on a Wills's cigarette card, 1906
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms on a stained glass window (source)
Literature : Imageprovided by the Norwich city council, information provided by Laurence Jones.