|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on June 29, 1960.
The arms are a combination of the main dynasties and territories that ruled the district before 1806. The first quarter shows the arms of the Counts of Westerburg, who founded the city of that name in 1292, the capital of the district. The second quarter shows the lion of the Counts of Nassau, the third the lion of the Counts of Sayn an the fourth quarter shows the cross of the State and diocese of Trier.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.