|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
The oldest known seal of the city dates from 1310 and shows a compicated composition, with crescent, a cross with stars on the points and an eagle. A secret seal of the early 14th century only shows the eagle of St. John, the local patron saint. All later seals showed this composition, with later additions of the motto S. Iohannes.
The above arms are the large arms of the city, often also the small arms (shield only) are being used.
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in 1994
Literature : Plewako and Wanag, 1994