Oostkerke (Damme)

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wapen van Oostkerke (Damme)/Arms (crest) of Oostkerke (Damme)

Country : Belgium

Province :

Incorporated into:

Loading map...
Official blazon
French De gueules, à trois croissants d'or.
English blazon wanted


The arms were granted on February 25, 1845.

The arms are derived from the arms of the Lords of Oostkerke. The arms are first mentioned in the Gelre roll of arms from the late 14th century. They also appear as arms for the town on the 16th century map of the Vrije van Brugge area, see below.

The same arms are used by the nearby village of Hoeke, but the relation with the Lords of Oostkerke is not clear.

Image gallery


The city of Monnikerede developed as a small harbour city on the Zwin in the 13th century. Due to silting, the harbour disappeared and the town was merged with Hoeke and Damme to one unit in 1594 (see Damme). The city was situated in the later municipality of Oostkerke, but no remains are visible.

Image gallery

Literature: Servais, 1955

Belgium heraldry portal

This page is part of the
Belgium heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:

  • Total pages in the Belgium section : 6,282
  • of which images : 5,066

Other heraldry:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site