|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1896.
The lion is derived from the arms of the Margraves of Meissen, who acquired the village and surrounding territory in the 13th century and later granted the city rights. The stars were probably added to distinguish the arms from the Meissen arms, and were first shown on the seals in 1387. The first use of lion and stars appeared in 1478.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Bensing et al., 1984