Osterode am Harz

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wappen der Welt
Germany.jpg
German heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Germany
Deutsche Wappen
Germany-flag.jpg

  • Total pages in the German section : 19,775
  • Total images in the German section : 37,902

OSTERODE AM HARZ

State : Niedersachsen
District (Kreis) : Göttingen (until 2016 Osterode am Harz)
Additions : 1971 Freiheit, Katzenstein, Lasfelde, Petershütte, Schwiegershausen; 1972 Dorste, Förste, Hörden, Lerbach, Nienstedt, Riefensbeek-Kamschlacken

Wappen von Osterode am Harz

Official blazon

  • (de) Geteilt von Silber und Rot durch einen goldenen Kleeblattbogen; darauf zwei blaue Türme, der rechte mit roter Kuppel, der linke mit rotem Spitzdach; dazwischen schwebt ein rotes Tatzenkreuz; unten ein linkshin schreitender, blau bewehrter goldener Löwe.

Origin/meaning

Osterode became a city in 1238 by the Welfen family. The first seal, dating from the middle of the 13th century shows the lion of the Welfen family below a walled city. In 1234 it was mentioned that Osterode had city walls. The cross is probably the sign of St. John Baptist, the patron saint of the city.

The arms never really changed through the centuries, except that until the 19th century a crowned O often was placed below the lion.


Arms of Osterode am Harz

The arms on a 1621 coin
Wappen von Osterode am Harz

Seal from around 1900
Wappen von Osterode am Harz

Seal from around 1900
Wappen von Osterode am Harz

Seal from around 1920
Wappen von Osterode am Harz

The arms as shown in 1891
Wappen von Osterode am Harz

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Arms of Osterode am Harz

The arms in the Abadie albums

___________________________________________________________

Rate these arms / rate this page :

0.00
(0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)

Follow us on Facebook.jpg

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)

Literature : Stadler,1964-1971, 8 volumes; Ahrens, 1891 Niedersachsen.jpg