|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1948.
Otterndorf received city rights around 1400 from Duke Erich of Sachsen-Lauenburg. The oldest seals date from the same time and already show the combination of the arms of <a href=sachsen|Sachsen]] and a canting otter. The composition has not changed since, although the otter has also often been placed in the right half of the shield, see below.
The arms as shown in 1891
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Ahrens, 1891