|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on November 18, 1958.
The arms are derived from the arms of the Lords of Wolfenbüttel-Assenburg, who founded the city of Peine in 1223. A branch named themselves afterwards Counts of Peine. The wolf is a canting symbol for the Counts of Wolfenbüttel. In 1260 the area became a possession of the Bishops of Hildesheim until 1802. The colours are the colours of Hildesheim.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; image obtained from Landkreis Peine.