Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm (kreis)
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
PFAFFENHOFEN AN DER ILM (PAF)
State : Bayern
The arms were granted on April 18, 1963 and confirmed on July 4, 1974.
The arms show in the left half a branch of hops, as hops culturing is of great importance in the district. The right half combines the diamonds of the Wittelsbach family (and Bayern) with a symbol for the Benedictine monastery at Scheyern. In the early 12th century the Wittelsbach family were Counts of Scheyern and turned their ancestral castle into a monastery in 1118.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.