|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In durch einen silbernen Faden gespaltenem blauen Schild vorne ein durchgehendes, geschliffenes silbernes Kreuz, hinten eine silberne Lilie.
In 1338 the village of Udenheim received city rights. In 1632 Udenheim was renamed Philippsburg. The city was a possession of the Prince-Bishops of Speyer from 1371-1718. The oldest seal of the city dates from 1386 and shows already the cross of Speyer in combination with a fleur-de-lis. The latter may either have been derived from the arms of Bishop Lambert von Born (1364-1371), or may be the symbol for St. Mary, the patron saint of Speyer. The colours are the colours of Speyer.
All later seals and images show the same arms. Only recently a small silver division line has been adopted by the municipality.
The previous arms:
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; John et al., 1990