Pollokshields

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

POLLOCKSHIELDS

Incorporated into : 1891 Glasgow

Arms (crest) of Pollokshields

Official blazon

Argent, on a saltire sable an annulet or, stoned azure; in chief a castle of the second.

Origin/meaning

The arms were never officially registered.

Pollokshields was established by the Stirling-Maxwell family in 1849 and became a Police Burgh in 1876. The Burgh used a seal in the 1880s.

The seal is an adaptation from the Pollok Coat of Arms, by permission from Sir John Stirling Maxwell, the then representative of the Pollok Family. It is one of the quarters of the Pollok Arms: "Argent, on a saltire sable an annulet or, stoned proper." The annulet or ring was a maternal difference added to the Arms of the Maxwells of Pollok from the House of Eglinton; and the saltire sable is from the Arms of the Maxwells, Earls of Nithsdale. See also Pollokshaws.

An addition was made in the seal by introducing a tower in chief, probably referring to the Castle of Pollok.


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature : Bute et al, 1903