Port Glasgow

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

PORT GLASGOW (Burgh)

Incorporated into: 1975 Inverclyde District Council

Portglasgow.jpg

Official blazon

Or, on the waves of the sea a three-masted ship in full sail both Proper, having for figure-head a lion rampant Gules, armed and langued Azure, flying from the foremast and mizzenmast streamers Gules, from the mainmast the Union Jack as borne previous to the Union with Ireland, viz., Azure, a saltire Argent surmounted by a cross Gules fimbriated of the Second, and at the stern the national flag of Scotland, viz.: Azure, a saltire Argent; on the mainsail a representation of the arms of the City of Glasgow, viz.: Argent, on a mount in base Vert, an oak tree Proper, the stem at the base thereof surmounted by a salmon on its back, also Proper, with a signet ring in its mouth Or, on the top of the tree a red-breast, and in the sinister fess-point an ancient hand-bell, both also Proper.
Above the Shield is placed a coronet suitable to a Burgh, and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Ter Et Quater Anno Revisens Aequor Atlanticum Impune".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on November 14, 1929.

Up until 1791 Port Glasgow (Newark) was without a Coat of Arms or a common seal. This put the town at a disadvantage when it came to authenticating documents. So in November of that year a common seal was made, which read "The Common Seal of the towns of Port Glasgow and Newark".
In 1833 Port Glasgow became a Parliamentary Burgh and the "Newark" was dropped. This seal was used until 1862. In 1862 another change was made and it now read "The common Seal of the Police Commissioners of Port Glasgow". This was used up until 1892 when yet another change was made changing the text to read "The Common Seal of the Town Council of the Burgh of Port Glasgow"

In 1929 The Lyon King of Arms pointed out that the admiral bearings on the coat of arms had not been registered and that the main sail actually depicted Glasgow as was registered in 1866 and not as granted 1791.
A new Coat of Arms was granted. The main sail of the ship the City of Glasgow's armorial bearings, to the extent to which they were given in 1791 and over the shield a castle like structure to indicate the towns connection with Newark Castle. This representation of the arms the ship having its main sail blazoned with the Arms of Glasgow, a saltire for Scotland, and the union flag of Great Britain.

The motto reads " Ter et Quarter anno Revisens Aequor Atlanticum Impune", which translated reads "Three and four times a year revisiting the Atlantic with impunity"


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature : Information taken from http://www.portglasgow4u.co.uk/townshistory/coat_of_arms.html