|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Former province of the Kingdom of Prussia, at present in Western Poland.
For the former German city Posen, see Poznań.
Posen is an area in Western Poland, which became part of Prussia in 1779-1793, in 1807 it became a part of French-controlled Warsaw Duchy, to return to Prussian rule in 1815. Posen used to be a official German name used until 1918; the historical Polish name for the province is Wielkopolska (Greater Poland) - Grosspolen in German.
In 1813 part of the area became Russian after the division of Poland and redefinition of the borders. The arms show the Prussian eagle with the arms of Wielkopolska as an escutcheon.
The supporters, crown and helmet are those used in all Prussian provinces and could be used at wish.
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Heraldry of the World is a private site,
all paid for by 1 person and
maintained by 3 persons as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please, support the site:
Literature : Schurdel, H.D. Flaggen und Wappen Deutschland. Battenberg, Augsburg 1995.