|Heraldry of the World |
|Latvian heraldry portal|
Sarkanā laukā zelta labības kūlis, zelta vairoga galvā trīs zili sešlapu linu ziedi.
The arms were granted in 1925.
In the 13th century Germans built the Rūjen castle at the Rūja river, where important trade ways have crossed. The town around the castle is first mentioned in 1461.
In 1896 the narrow-gauge railway Valka-Pernava was built, and it initiated the development of the town. City rights were granted in 1920.
The arms show three flax blossoms and a flax sheaf, because Rūjiena is famous by the flax cultivation and linen production.
Literature : Latvias ģerboņi, 2008