|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1974 Thanet
Arms : Quarterly gules and azure, a cross parted and fretty argent between a horse rampant of the last in the first quarter, a demi lion passant guardant of the third conjoined to the hulk of a ship Or in the second, a dolphin naiant proper in the third, and a lymphad also Or in the fourth.
Crest : Issuant from a naval crown Or a pierhead, thereon a lighthouse proper.
Supporters : On the dexter side a lifeboatman, and on the sinister side a coastguard holding in the exterior hand a telescope, all proper.
Motto 'Salus naufragis salus aegris'
The arms were officially granted on July 23, 1884, supporters on November 2, 1935.
The white horse represents Kent and the lion joined to a ship's hull is from the arms of the Cinque Ports, Ramsgate being a member of Sandwich. The dolphin, ship, naval crown and lighthouse are appropriate to a seaside resort and port.
The supporters were adopted to show Ramsgate's association with the sea through the Royal Harbour since 1760.
The arms are used again since 1990 by the Town Council.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms as used on a Faulkner postcard +/- 1905
The arms on a Wills's cigarette card, 1906
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Biggs, 1971