|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In gespaltenem Schild vorne in Rot ein silberner Balken, überdeckt von zwei schräggekreuzten goldenen Rudern, hinten in Gold ein roter Löwe.
Riedlingen was founded around 1250 by Count Wolfrat von Veringen and received city rights in 1334. From 1291-1805 the city was an Austrian possession, since 1805 it is part of Württemberg.
The oldest seal of the city, dating from the late 13th century shows two spades and a lion in a shield. The spades are a canting symbol; in those days the city's name was Rudelingen (Ruder=spades). The origin of the lion is still unknown. The arms have basically not changed since, only in the 16th century the spades were placed on the Austrian arms. Furthermore, in the 18th century often only the spades on the Austrian fess were used. The lion was later restored.
The arms on an 1877 poster
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.