|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on January 30, 1844.
The village got city rights in 1332 by the Counts of Rau, who also gave the city its name. The oldest seal of the city dates from 1335 and shows the arms of the counts, surrounded by ears of rye. The rye is a canting symbol (Rogge). In the 15th century the seals showed a divided shield with in each field a single ear. In 1600 the ears were planted on a piece of grass. The present arms were granted in 1844 and a third ear was added. It is likely that the old worn seal was not quite clear, and that the partition line was seen as the third ear.
The seal of Rockenhausen from 1365
The seal of Rockenhausen from 1405
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.; Hupp, 1927