Royal Tunbridge Wells
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
ROYAL TUNBRIDGE WELLS
Incorporated into : 1974 Tunbridge Wells
Arms : Gules, guttée d' eau, on a pile Or between two fountains in base, a lion rampant gules.
Crest : On a wreath of the colours, a well proper, issuant therefrom a demi lion gules holding between the paws a fountain.
Motto: Do well doubt not
The arms were officially granted on July 19, 1889.
The arms are mainly canting; the two roundels with wavy bars are heraldic fountains and together with the drops symbolise the medicinal springs after which the town is named. The lion is the Royal lion and thus another canting element. The crest combines the same elements.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1935
The arms as used on a Faulkner postcard +/- 1905
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Image and information from here