|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on September 13, 1949.
The largest part of the district belonged until 1803 to the State of Trier. Thus the main part of the arms show the cross of this State. The escutcheon shows the (now ruined) castle in the city of Saarburg, one of the main castles of the Archbishops. The two waves in the upper part of the escutcheon symbolise the fact that the Saar and Mosel rivers combine in the district.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.