Saint Lucia

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 10:27, 30 September 2018 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to navigation Jump to search

National symbols

History

St. Lucia was colonised by the English in 1638, became French in 1642 and until 1814 the island changed hands between France and England 15 times, finally becoming English in 1814. In 1838 St. Lucia became part of the Windward Islands colony, and from 1958-1962 it was part of the West Indian Federation. In 1979 the island became independent.

Administrative division

Saint Lucia has 11 quarters, or parishes of the island, under the French colonial government which was continued by the British. None of these use arms.

Heraldry