Salisbury and Wilton
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
SALISBURY AND WILTON (Rural district council)
Incorporated into : 1974 Salisbury (2009 Wiltshire)
Arms : Barry Or and Vert three Lions rampant Argent on a Chief of the second a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved alternately set upon a Rim Gold.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a demi double-headed Eagle wings displayed Sable gorged with a Naval Crown Or and holding in each beak a Branch of Palm proper.
Motto: 'UNITY IS STRENGTH'
The arms were officially granted on November 20, 1959.
The gold bars are from the arms of the City of Salisbury and the green bars are from the arms of the Wiltshire County Council. The white lions from the arms of the Earls of Pembroke and Montgomery, who are seated at Wilton House, represent Wilton. The crown specially designed for Rural Councils, is composed of wheat-ears and acorns for rural industry and natural beauty.
The double-headed eagle is that of the Earls of Radnor, who are seated at Longford Castle, it can also be seen as a reminder of the supporters of the City of Salisbury's arms. The naval crown and palm branches from the Nelson family arms, who were connected with Trafalgar House, which was given to the family of Lord Nelson by a greatful nation in 1814.
This appropriate civic motto is also of local significance, it figures in a banner carried by the villagers of Wishford on Oak Apple Day at the Grovely Oak ceremony.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Image and information from here