|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In Silber drei (2:1) rote Schilde.
Schiltach received city rights in the 13th century from either the Dukes of Teck or the Lords of Geroldseck. The latter ruled the city until 1277, the latter from 1277-1371. From 1371-1381 it was ruled by the Dukes of Urslingen and since 1381 the city is part of Württemberg. The oldest seal dates from the late 15th century and shows the arms of the Dukes of Urslingen, the three red shields. The Ducal dynasty became extinct in 1444, but the arms were continued by the city, probably also because of the shields were considered canting (Schildchen). In the 16th century a chief with the deer antler of Württemberg was added, but removed in the 18th century, as the local fountain from 1751 shows the arms without the antler.
The arms in the Chorographia Württemberg (Wolleber, 1591)
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.