Schwäbisch Gmünd (kreis)
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
SCHWÄBISCH GMÜND (GD)
The arms were granted on April 19, 1955.
The arms show the lion of the Staufen family. This, in the German history, very important family originated from the city of Lorch in the district. In 1162 the city of Schwäbisch Gmünd was founded by the Staufen family, who also ruled the largest part of the district for several centuries.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.