|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Schweinsberg received city rights in 1332, but the city never used an own seal or arms until 1818. The new seal showed the present arms, which combine the crest of the Princes of Hessen with a canting swine's head. The city was a possession of Hessen since the early 16th century. As several other towns also used the crest in their arms (Kirchhain, Kirtorf), the swine's head was added to distinguish the arms.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.