Incorporated into : 1996 North Lincolnshire
Arms : Vert a Chain of five links in fesse between in Chief two Shells (Gryphoea incurva) and in base a Garb Or.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours the Top of a Blast-Furnace issuant therefrom Flames all proper.
Motto: 'THE HEAVENS REFLECT OUR LABOURS'.
The arms were officially granted on September 25, 1936.
The green background and wheatsheaf reflects the town's agricultural heritage and the two shells (Gryphoea incurva) is the fossil most commonly found in the ironstone of the area. The wheatsheaves also allude to the family of Sheffield which held the Manor of Kirton, of which Scunthorpe formed a part, Sir Berkley Sheffield was Charter Mayor. The towns's Charter being one of only four granted during the short reign of King Edward VIII. The five steel links depict the original five parishes of Ashby, Brumby, Crosby, Frodingham and Scunthorpe that formed the town.
The blast furnace and the chain represent the iron and steel industries upon which the modern development of the town is based.
The motto comes from the frequent illumination of the sky which used to be a familiar sight at night time due to activity at the steelworks. It was previously used in its Latin form "Refulget labores nostros coelum".
Literature : Image and information provided by Laurence Jones (email@example.com)