|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on February 12, 1947.
The lion in the upper part is the lion of the Pfalz, and symbolises that the largest part of the district historically belonged to the Pfalz. The lower part shows the chequered shield of the Counts of Sponheim, who until the 14th century held many estates in the district.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.