Sint-Maria-Horebeke

SINT-MARIA-HOREBEKE

Province : Oost-Vlaanderen
Incorporated into : 1977 Horebeke

Wapen van Sint-Maria-Horebeke/Coat of arms (crest) of Sint-Maria-Horebeke

Official blazon

  • (1818) Van goud beladen met een keper van lazuur en tusschen dezelve de letter M mede van lazuur omboord van lazuur waarop acht lelien van goud.
  • (1931) Van goud met dubbele streep-binnenzoom gelelied en tegengelelied van sinopel met keper van keel over alles heen; het schild geplaatst voor eene Maagd van zilver.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on September 2, 1818 and with supporter on February 28, 1931.

The arms are based on those of the Baronny of Schorisse, to which the village historically belonged. The arms were first used by the Gavere family in the late 13th century. The estate and baronny of Schorisse was a possession of the family until 1503.

In 1818 the arms were granted in the Dutch national colours, as in 1813 the mayor applied without indicating the colours. The arms were thus granted in the national colours. To distinguish the arms of those from neighbouring Sint-Kornelis-Horebeke a letter M was added.

In 1931 the letter was removed, the colours and composition restored and the local patron saint, St. Mary was added as a supporter.

St-maria-horebeke.jpg

The arms from 1818
Wapen van/Blason de Sint-Maria-Horebeke

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930

Literature: Servais, 1955


Belgium heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Belgium.jpg
Belgium heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:



  • Total pages in the Belgium section : 6,241
  • of which images : 5,031

Other heraldry:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink  
Index of the site