|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
- (1819) Van lazuur beladen met een dubbelen en gekroonden gouden arend, hebbende op deszelfs borst de letters S.T. het schild gedekt met een kroon van goud.
- (1838) Hemelsblaeuw koleur met eenen arend met twee hoofden van geel koleur met kruyn van zulke kleur, den arend voerende op de borst de letters S T van zwart koleur het wapen gedekt met eene gouden kroon.
- (1878) De gueules au perron de Liège d'or, posé sur trois marches soutenues par trois supports, surmonté d'une pomme de pin avec croix, accompagné des lettres S.T. d'or; au chef d'or chargé d'une double aigle naissante de sable, becquée, languée, membrée et couronnée de gueules, l'écu timbré d'une couronne d'or.
- (1985) In keel een perron op vier treden, geplaatst op drie bollen, getopt met een pijnappel en kruis, het geheel van goud; schildhoofd: in goud een dubbele adelaar van sabel, gebekt, getongd, gepoot en overtopt met een keizerskroon, alles van keel.
Sint-Truiden has received arms four times; the first on October 20, 1819, these arms were confirmed after the Belgian independence on May 31, 1838. The new arms were granted on September 2, 1878 and again on October 7, 1985.
The village was founded by Saint Trudo as a monastery, which he donated to the Bishop of Metz. The monastery developed into a rich Abbey surrounded by a town. The town received city rights in the early 13th century and the council was appointed by the Bishop of Metz (since 1227 the Bishop of Liège) and the Abbott. The city was an Imperial city, due to the bonds with the Bishops of Metz, and the main city in the Loon County, part of the diocese of Liège.
The oldest seals of the city date from the late 13th century and show on the front St. Trudo and on the reverse St. Lambert, the patron saint of Liège. The second seal was used from 1409-1678 and shows again St. Trudo, but now with a small shield with the Imperial double eagle and two crossed crosiers.
A third type, known from 1543, shows the Cross of Calvary of the city of Liège, with in the chief the Imperial eagle and Imperial crown. The composition appears as arms in a large book in the Sint-Truiden Abbey from 1542. The colous are the same as used in the present arms.
The 1819 arms showed the Imperial eagle with the letters ST on its chest. The letters never appeared on the historical seals though. The colours were the Dutch National colours, as no historical colours of the arms were provided to the Dutch College of Arms. After the Belgian independence the arms were confirmed, the colours were not restored.
The arms from 1819 and 1838
In 1878 the arms with the Cross of Calvary were restored, however, the cross was replaced by a pinecone, the letters ST were added (similarly to the LG of Liège). The eagel, which was never crowned on the seals, kept the crowns from the previous arms.
The arms from 1878
In 1985 the arms were slightly changed, as the crowns were removed from the eagle.
Two versions of the arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature : Servais, 1955; Viaene-Awouters and Warlop, 2002.