Region : Sjælland
Amt (until 2007) : Vestsjælland (until 1970 Holbæk, Sorø)
Additions : 1970 Agersø, Boeslunde, Eggeslevmagle, Holsteinborg-Venslev, Magleby, Omø, Tjæreby , Ørslev-Sønder Bjerge
Incorporated into : 2007 Slagelse

Coat of arms (crest) of Skælskør


The arms were officially registered in 1938.

The arms are based on a seal of the city, which is known from 1608. The arms show the bridge and the two parts of the city, with the church and city hall. The small shell in the front is canting, the name being derived from Skælfisk-Ør, or shellfish-island.

The older seals of the city only showed the bridge and a shell. This seal is known since 1421.

Seal from 1421

Seal from 1608

Seal from 1623

The arms in the Kaffe Hag album, 1933

Literature: Achen, 1982; Zeuthen, 2000

This page is part of the
Danish heraldry portal (Dansk Heraldik)

Danish heraldry:

Contact and Support


© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink  
Index of the site