|Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of Iceland
The arms were officially registered on November 15, 1999.
The cross and crosier symbolise that the ancient bishopric of Hólar in Hjaltadal is situated in the new municipality. The bishopric was founded in 1106 and lasted until the Reformation. It was the centre of learning and education of the whole of Northern Iceland in this period.