|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted on October 2, 1992.
The arms show the lion of the Counts (later Princes) of Schwarzburg as the are was from 1356-1918 part of the county Schwarzburg and later Principality of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen. The base shows the mountains in the area, especially the Hainlaite, Windleite and Kyffhäuser areas. The wavy bar symbolises the Wipper river.
Literature : Ulle, 1994