St Antony's College (Oxford University)
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
ST ANTONY'S COLLEGE (OXFORD UNIVERSITY)
Or, on a chevron between three Tau crosses gules, as many pierced mullets of the field.
The arms were officially granted on November 30, 1953.
The late Mr Besse, the founder of the College, was not himself armigerous. But in his commercial transactions, he made wide use of a trade mark consisting of a five-pointed star. Hence the mullets on the chevron. The colours of the arms may be regarded as having a less direct allusion to the Red Sea and the golden-sanded lands beside it which were the focus of M. Besse's activity.
The Tau crosses are the symbol of to the saint whose name the College bears, Saint Antony the Abbot.
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please support the site:
Literature: Maclagan, 1955