|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The first (left) arms were granted on July 31, 1937, the latter on December 20, 1995.
The eagle is the eagle of Brandenburg and symbolises the fact that the main part of the county belonged to Brandenburg. The leaves are taken from the arms of the family Von Bismarck, who had large possessions in Stendal.
The arms were changed after the merging of Stendal with Havelberg and Osterburg. The golden diamonds are taken from the arms of the Counts of Osterburg and the former Landkreis Osterburg.
Literature : Papendieck, 1996.